Sign in to follow this  
OB25

What are your expectations for what would make a successful Maui trip?

Mine: beat Hawaii and Arizona State, with the first priority being to beat Hawaii. Don't want to go into the tournament with that loss already under our belt.

Don't know much about Hawaii the team, just know it makes no sense that we're playing that game and it worries me.

And ASU has a few pretty good players. We're probably pretty equal teams. That would be a nice win.

Anything after that would be gravy. I just hope we come out with 2 non-Chaminade victories.

I do like that unlike last year, we are going to get to find out what kind of team this is early on. Hopefully its done without too many losses.

3-1 Anything less than 3-1 can't be considered a successful trip.

If there are 2 or more losses, it means Illinois lost to other teams that will likely be on the bubble in March.

Losing to Duke or Marquette is really the only losses that don't hurt in the grand scheme of things.

Beat Arizona State we would give Duke problems with our depth and athleticism, even if we didn't win, giving Duke a game on national TV would raise our profile and give us that extra little boost come selection sunday.

Losing to ASU, beating Princeton, then losing to, say, LSU would be an outright disaster.

2-2 might not be considered a major success... but it would be a relief for me.

In years past I might have said 3-1 or better, but if we can get a couple wins at least you don't leave feeling like you dug yourself a big hole two weeks into the season.

3-1 would be a success... You figure we'll have at least three tough tests in the four games. To go 3-1 means that we've notched 2 wins over the following decent teams (@Hawaii, Duke, Marquette, ASU, Okie State, LSU).

I'm hoping for 3-1. Beat Hawaii (They just lost to the University of San Diego at home. We need to find a way to scratch out a win here).

Beat ASU.

Get beat by Duke and make a halfway decent showing.

Beat whoever we play the final day.

Can we do that? Who the hell knows?

4 things..... 1. Pruitt dominates inside.

2. Randle averages double doubles and plays like we thought (hoped) he would as a senior.

3. One other player becomes a consistent scoring threat. Doesn't have to score 20 a game, just somewhere in double figures and shows he can create his own shot and make it consistently.

4. That slow / grind it out ball is no where to be found.

Yeah.... I know.... I'm dreaming, but what the he**.

easy answer: get through a difficult week of work.

have some kind IB poster link an easy way for me to listen to the hawaii game (with the time conveniently converted to CDT--it is daylight saving, right?). fightingillini.com does NOT count.

not think that i originally dreamed of Gordon and Rose in the backcourt at the Maui invite.

stop getting worked up by negative nellies.