Sign in to follow this  
jasn88cubs

The war chant news made me re watch the Chiefs last dance

Actually, I like 'the Orange and Blues' Embrace cool music and cool colors. Maybe the STL Blues will let them borrow the blue note idea. Alright I'm done.

I think the brown note would be more fitting

How about the White Suckers (Catostomus commersonii) ? This has an historical connection. Illinois was once known as The Sucker State , most likely because the migration pattern of Galena IL lead mine workers resembled that of the fish.

I'm down for that. I think that's a winner.

I'd much rather choose something completely off the wall and funny/self-deprecating than let oh-so-earnest, lame-assed, self-hating "liberal" dorks end up giving us some run-of-the-mill nickname and #$%&@!ty mascot. Because that's what'll end up happening. "Fighting Illini" will eventually be gone and we are going to have lame assholes choose what will replace it. It's going to suck (no pun intended).

I think the current student body ought to form a committee, field suggestions for a few months, decide on a few overhaul submissions and then put it to a student-body only ranked-choice vote. Have the student body tell the University administration what the new identity package will be.

I'm down for that. I think that's a winner.

I'd much rather choose something completely off the wall and funny/self-deprecating than let oh-so-earnest, lame-assed, self-hating "liberal" dorks end up giving us some run-of-the-mill nickname and #$%&@!ty mascot. Because that's what'll end up happening. "Fighting Illini" will eventually be gone and we are going to have lame assholes choose what will replace it. It's going to suck (no pun intended).

I think the current student body ought to form a committee, field suggestions for a few months, decide on a few overhaul submissions and then put it to a student-body only ranked-choice vote. Have the student body tell the University administration what the new identity package will be.

:eek NO! You can't let a bunch of college kids decide on a mascot and team name, we'll be the Boaty McBoatface of college athletics. :doh Best case scenario we'd actually end up being the Squirrels. :wall

:eek/>/>/> NO! You can't let a bunch of college kids decide on a mascot and team name, we'll be the Boaty McBoatface of college athletics. :doh/>/>/> Best case scenario we'd actually end up being the Squirrels. :wall/>/>/>

You're probably not going to believe this but I actually originally ended that post of mine with "Boaty McBoatface" (sans quotes). I swear on the Alma Mater, I wrote it and then deleted it before hitting the add reply button. That is sorta spooky and also funny as hell.

You're probably not going to believe this but I actually originally ended that post of mine with "Boaty McBoatface" (sans quotes). I swear on the Alma Mater, I wrote it and then deleted it before hitting the add reply button. That is sorta spooky and also funny as hell.

:lol: I believe it. We are all the alts of one poster so it makes sense. But :shh don't tell FlyinHigh. :lol:

When the Fighting Sioux gave up, I believe the student body was asked for input on a new name. If I'm not mistaken, The Rough Riders was one of the top 3 and The Fighting Hawks also. I believe NoDaks came in 2nd. The University of North Dakota NoDaks ? ?

Dont put it past the student body to come up with something stupid, like the University of Illinois Fighting Ills. Maybe a med student could come out for the 2 in 1, after the 3 in 1 is abolished.

We joke about this now, but ultimately we probably will end up with some stupid new team name and mascot. And I'll be too ashamed of this University to care about it anymore. I wonder if there is a loosely moderated FSU board out there somewhere. :hmm

its honestly a really principled stance to stop following and rooting for the players on the team because the nickname got changed?

Yep.

And I wouldn't criticize someone if they weren't happy with the direction that we're headed. Tacit approval wouldn't accomplish much.

You'd quit following the sports teams because they changed their nickname?

If it was something stupid, yes. Tell me what I'd be missing out on. I've seen Final Fours, I've seen a NC game, I've been to several bowl games, it's been a decent run. If there existed a level of apathy within the athletic department and University, and such a disconnect with the fanbase that they would actually rename the program, then I'd have no problem moving on. Call up the 89 team and see if they're cool being referred to as the Flyin Squirrels from now on and let me know what they think. :lol:

In sincerity I would approve "orange and blues" or having no nickname at all. Just being Illinois.

I'd rather have no nickname and no mascot than have something stupid or generic. I don't know if "orange and blues" falls into either of those categories, it's not the worst idea I've heard. I honestly would hope they'd keep Fighting Illini and market the Doughboy as a symbol if the Chief opposition insists on branding a new image.

its honestly a really principled stance to stop following and rooting for the players on the team because the nickname got changed?

I can follow other teams and root for other players. I could even continue to watch Illinois sports, like I do many college teams, I just wouldn't donate money to the athletic department, buy tickets or purchase merchandise anymore.

It wouldn't be an issue of principle for me - I am not that bothered about losing the Chief and completely understand why that imagery was offensive - but I will probably still jet if everything changes and they #$%&@! it up. Maybe the principle of it will be that we suck and are losers even in choosing a new "brand."

At various times in our history (and present maybe), what does one really root for if not for the "tradition"? I've been an avid fan/supporter of Illini athletics for decades and there have been times that I have had little to no affinity for the players and coaches of the two major revenue sports. But I was still an Illini fan. Do away with "Fighting Illini" and the orange and blue and the 3 in 1, etc. and what are we really left with? Just some players and coaches you may or may not care for and a new brand with zero historical significance.

Think about it with regard to an English football club. Sunderland for instance. I followed them a bit because they signed one of our national team players (Jozy Altidore) for a couple of years. They are rabid fans but it has almost nothing to do with the players or the manager. The player and manager turnover in the EPL is crazy. Sunderland fans are fans because of their tradition and how embedded that is. Change their home kit colors, their crest, team mascot/avatar, demand they sing new songs, etc. and it's no longer even their team. It's some new team that just happens to play in town.

Yeah I can see myself just giving up and moving on if we become the Coyotes or something. Like it or not it, the Illini "brand" is intertwined with my feelings for the school's athletic programs. I grew up with it. It's embedded. I sure as #$%&@! would have bailed if we'd become the Coyotes during the Tim Beckman and John Groce era. It would be a bridge too far to even care at that point.

Now, if they do something novel and cool with the change, then I might be enticed to start over with zero history and tradition. But I don't really think this school and administration are capable of that. We'll get some run-of-the-mill, safe, lame avatar and a silly, stupid mascot roaming the sidelines. The only positive might be a better fight song B)

Eastern Michigan Hurons --> Eastern Michigan Eagles. Probably needed to happen but still lame as hell.

Win on the field and the court and I doubt many people will care if we're the Illinois #$%&@!nuts.

Of course there's tradition involved, and no one is saying that you erase history - no more than Stanford did. We all grew up with it. I just personally can't see deciding "nah, #$%&@! it" because of a nickname chsnge, especially if the last decade didn't have you past that point already.

If someone told me "I used to follow Eastern Michigan athletics but then they changed their name to the Eagles so now I stopped caring" I think I'd probably laugh.