Sign in to follow this  
EZRider

Whitman presser

Whitman doesn't play games...He wouldn't have fired Groce unless the next hire was already lined up...if we don't hear a name at the presser, then it's likely a name Coaching in the NCAA tournament, which I'm fine with...Hoping it's not Cuonzo Martin.

Whitman doesn't play games...He wouldn't have fired Groce unless the next hire was already lined up...if we don't hear a name at the presser, then it's likely a name Coaching in the NCAA tournament, which I'm fine with...Hoping it's not Cuonzo Martin.

Highly highly doubt it's Martin

This. He has his guy. No doubt about it.

Highly highly doubt it's Martin

I think Martin would be great for recruiting. Not for sure about his x's & O's as a coach.

I think Martin would be great for recruiting. Not for sure about his x's & O's as a coach.

I'm sure about them...they aren't very good.

He's not firing Groce to bring in an NIT coach..

I think Martin lands Smith, as well as our current crop of recruits. In addition, the likelihood of Walker staying might increase, and Tracy Webster (obvious Chicago ties) would seemingly only enhance our local recruiting. While I am not beaming over a possible Martin hiring, I am encouraged by what he can do in markets that have largely become barren.

I agree with this. If not for the recruits, Martin likely wouldn't even be involved in this discussion. His ties to our current class should give us pause without potential employment.

If Martin is hired...as well as Webster stays....Illinois keeps Tilmon...gets Smith...and probably Charlie Moore comes as well.

Hmm...

Sources have told CBS Sports that Cuonzo Martin, who is in his third season at California, will be a candidate for the Illinois job and for the Missouri job. Martin is from East St. Louis, Illinois. So he has obvious ties to the area.

Hope you're right. While Martin could very well bring in guys that we would have missed with Groce, I am skeptical about the long term with him. If he's the guy, he better have a competent staff to support him on player development along with in game coaching.

Martin blows.

This. And no thanks to Webster either. He stunk it up here under Weber.

Go get somebody that doesn't have a mediocre record. Or a bunch of question marks. Or both.

Archie, Gregg, Bennett, etc. Plenty of options out there. Pony up with big boy dollars. Get this thing going again.

Martin would be a home run, in my opinion.

Like a little league, hit the ball to the bad right fielder who falls down and the ball rolls past him and you run around the bases home run?

Like a little league, hit the ball to the bad right fielder who falls down and the ball rolls past him and you run around the bases home run?

No. A real home run. Just giving you my honest opinion.

If you guys think these people don't pay attention to social media and message boards then you are living in the land of the make believe. They hear all the noise. Whitman making that very clear right now.