Sign in to follow this  
jasn88cubs

illini made bubble watch

How can someone say we "have no bad losses"?

Losses to bad teams? Winthrop, Penn State,

Losses where we looked bad and were noncompetitive? Too many to count.

How can someone say we "have no bad losses"?

Losses to bad teams? Winthrop, Penn State,

Losses where we looked bad and were noncompetitive? Too many to count.

Winthrop is RPI #79, PSU is #81. That's how.

Bad is obviously relative, but relative to the pool of NCAA D1 teams, those aren't bad teams. Just very meh teams.

Assume you mean ranked teams. You know who else hasn't beaten a ranked team this season?

Wisconsin.

OK, they beat MD a few weeks back when the Terps were still hanging on at #24, but MD is out of the polls now.

Combination of a softer than expected schedule and losing to most of the better teams they've played.

This is why Wisconsin plummeted to #22 in the recent AP poll. Purdue is #16. Speaks volumes about the B1G this year.

We don't really have any bad losses, or good wins.

Soon...we're not really good...but we're not really bad either... :hmm :hmm hang a banner

I would be a lot more confident with 3 but I'd say bare minimum 2 to get us in the conversation as long as they are MSU and Rutgers. Even if they lose in the first game of the BTT they will be on the bubble and we could at least watch the selection show with some hope.

Winning the next 2 gets us into the conversation. But if that happens, we'll likely play Iowa in the BTT, and we need to beat Iowa just to stay in front of them in the bubble conversation. Two wins will not do it. Three more could do it, depending on what happens to other teams. Four more would include a "good" win (Purdue) most likely, and I would feel confident at that point.

Winning the next 2 gets us into the conversation. But if that happens, we'll likely play Iowa in the BTT, and we need to beat Iowa just to stay in front of them in the bubble conversation. Two wins will not do it. Three more could do it, depending on what happens to other teams. Four more would include a "good" win (Purdue) most likely, and I would feel confident at that point.

Iowa already has 13 losses and has to play @ Wisconsin. They have an rpi in the 90's. They are out. Two wins before the btt and the illini will be better than 50/50. Three wins and they will be dancing. Vandy played their way out tonight.

Palm currently has us "in" as an 11 seed play-in game. Lunardi is keeping us out.

Lunardi seems (to me) to be very anti B-10 this year, and he also seems to be reluctant to let Illinois redeem itself from those early embarrassments against WVU, Maryland, Indiana, Purdue, etc. He's certainly justified in doing that, we didn't even look remotely NIT quality back then. I think we look like a double digit NCAA seed right now (maybe even 8-9 seed quality), but if it's true that all games matter equally, then we're going to have a tough case to make.

If this team makes the tournament, they should scrap the committee and just let everyone in.

Or just expand it to 90 teams. It would save a lot of coaching jobs.

If this team makes the tournament, they should scrap the committee and just let everyone in.

Yeah because we are WAY worse than say Wake Forrest is, who is now 2-9 vs the top 50 RPI after beating Louisville at home.

The problem is that the teams near the bottom aren't that good, don't have resumes like ours and will be sporting 14-15 losses by selection Sunday...teams like USC and Xavier who are freefalling...we have a better overall resume than Arkansas,s.carolina,w.forest,seton hall etc just to name a few...

I think when it's all said and done we need to beat Rutgers and 1st round btt game to get to at least Dayton..a lot of that will depend on what other teams close to us do...anything else is gravy..

Iowa already has 13 losses and has to play @ Wisconsin. They have an rpi in the 90's. They are out. Two wins before the btt and the illini will be better than 50/50. Three wins and they will be dancing. Vandy played their way out tonight.

Vandy may have the #2 sos but it's by luck not reality...they ran into a few middle of the road tourney teams and some mid majors who are likely going to win their conferences...I believe we did that once as well the year we lost to Virginia tech in the tournament...

I know we want more games to gamble on but 68 teams is just too many. They didn't need to add more mediocre teams.

64 or 68 = meh for me. The difference is too small to care about.

I agree. 64 is too many as well.

Disagree there. 64 is just right, but I can live with 68. The fact that multiple last four in teams have made major runs, VCU to the Final 4, shows there are deserving teams that get in late.

Disagree there. 64 is just right, but I can live with 68. The fact that multiple last four in teams have made major runs, VCU to the Final 4, shows there are deserving teams that get in late.

By that logic, why not 100 teams? You say "64 is just right", and then give an example of a team making a run that would've been left out of a 64 team tournament.

Of course a low ranked team can occasionally make a run. There just aren't enough good teams at any point to justify a tournament that features 64 of them.

If we're still pretending it's a national championship tournament, 64 is too many. There are never 64 teams in the conversation for who's the national champion.

For a TV show, though, any number works.

64 or 68 = meh for me. The difference is too small to care about.

Agreed. What bothers me is they call the play in games "the first round" if I'm not mistaken. I have no problem with the play-in games. Gives a few more teams a chance to experience the tourney atmosphere.

If we're still pretending it's a national championship tournament, 64 is too many. There are never 64 teams in the conversation for who's the national champion.

For a TV show, though, any number works.

How often are we completely surprised by the winner?