Sign in to follow this  
Overend Watts

John Groce

Bernstein from 670 the Score just mentioned him as one of the names being discussed at the end of a long list that included Romar, Dawkins, Marshall, Hamilton, etc. First time I've heard his name. Interesting candidate.

Bernstein from 670 the Score just mentioned him as one of the names being discussed at the end of a long list that included Romar, Dawkins, Marshall, Hamilton, etc. First time I've heard his name. Interesting candidate.

:cuss

So Gross (Pun Intended)

#$%&@! John Groce!

Groce info:

John Groce

Sport(s) Basketball

Current position

Title Head coach

Team Ohio

Record 85–55 (.607)

Biographical details

Born (1971-09-07) September 7, 1971 (age 40)

Muncie, Indiana, USA

Playing career

1991–1993 Taylor

Coaching career (HC unless noted)

1993–1996

1996–2000

2000–2001

2001–2004

2004–2008

2008–present Taylor (asst.)

NC State (asst.)

Butler (asst.)

Xavier (asst.)

Ohio State (asst.)

Ohio

Head coaching record

Overall 85–55 (.607)

Accomplishments and honors

Championships

2010 Mid-American Conference Tournament

2012 Mid-American Conference Tournament

John Groce (born September 7, 1971 in Muncie, Indiana) is an American college basketball coach and the current head coach of the Ohio University men's basketball team. Groce was named as head coach June 27, 2008 to replace Tim O'Shea, who resigned to take the head coach position at Bryant University.[1]

Groce started his coaching career as an assistant and his alma mater, Taylor University from 1993 to 1996. His next job was an assistant at North Carolina State University under Herb Sendek from 1996-2000. He then moved on to Butler University to join his good friend Thad Matta and was there just one season, 2000–2001. Together they then moved onto Xavier University where he was an assistant again from 2001–2004. Next, Groce was an assistant at Ohio State University (2004–2008) before finally getting a head coaching job at Ohio.

Groce graduated from Taylor in 1994 and played for the Trojans while he was there.[2]

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason

Ohio Bobcats (Mid-American Conference) (2008–current)

2008–2009 Ohio 15–17 7–9 9th

2009–2010 Ohio 22–15 7–9 9th NCAA 2nd Round

2010–2011 Ohio 19–16 9–7 5th CIT Quarterfinals

2011–2012 Ohio 29–7 11–5 3rd NCAA In progress

Ohio: 85–55 34–30

Total: 85–55

National champion Conference regular season champion Conference tournament champion

Conference regular season and conference tournament champion Conference division champion

Bernstein is a hack. His "source" is probably this board... he probably got it from airn10's post:

http://forums.illinihq.com/topic/23302-rank-em/page__view__findpost__p__377254

Groce info:

John Groce

Sport(s) Basketball

Current position

Title Head coach

Team Ohio

Record 85–55 (.607)

Biographical details

Born (1971-09-07) September 7, 1971 (age 40)

Muncie, Indiana, USA

Playing career

1991–1993 Taylor

Coaching career (HC unless noted)

1993–1996

1996–2000

2000–2001

2001–2004

2004–2008

2008–present Taylor (asst.)

NC State (asst.)

Butler (asst.)

Xavier (asst.)

Ohio State (asst.)

Ohio

Head coaching record

Overall 85–55 (.607)

Accomplishments and honors

Championships

2010 Mid-American Conference Tournament

2012 Mid-American Conference Tournament

John Groce (born September 7, 1971 in Muncie, Indiana) is an American college basketball coach and the current head coach of the Ohio University men's basketball team. Groce was named as head coach June 27, 2008 to replace Tim O'Shea, who resigned to take the head coach position at Bryant University.[1]

Groce started his coaching career as an assistant and his alma mater, Taylor University from 1993 to 1996. His next job was an assistant at North Carolina State University under Herb Sendek from 1996-2000. He then moved on to Butler University to join his good friend Thad Matta and was there just one season, 2000–2001. Together they then moved onto Xavier University where he was an assistant again from 2001–2004. Next, Groce was an assistant at Ohio State University (2004–2008) before finally getting a head coaching job at Ohio.

Groce graduated from Taylor in 1994 and played for the Trojans while he was there.[2]

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason

Ohio Bobcats (Mid-American Conference) (2008–current)

2008–2009 Ohio 15–17 7–9 9th

2009–2010 Ohio 22–15 7–9 9th NCAA 2nd Round

2010–2011 Ohio 19–16 9–7 5th CIT Quarterfinals

2011–2012 Ohio 29–7 11–5 3rd NCAA In progress

Ohio: 85–55 34–30

Total: 85–55

National champion Conference regular season champion Conference tournament champion

Conference regular season and conference tournament champion Conference division champion

So Groce excites you? Better you than me.

So Groce excites you? Better you than me.

Not excited..simply sharing the info because he doesn't seem to be very well known..and other than knowing he is the Ohio coach, I didn't knowanything about him..thought the info might be helpful to equally informed Illinois fans...

If I were you, I'd not be so eager to broadcast my ignorance. Just sayin'.

Really? A total "Who" hire would be excellent?

If we weren't in an era where mid majors were making final four runs with young and exciting coaches, this guy would have all the makings of a coach ready to make the jump to a major conference. I think we can do better, but it's a name worth learning more about, anyway.

Perhaps if he makes a magical run to the final 4 this year, fans will get excited about him. Of course, then he will be expecting a salary in the $2.5 to $3.0 million range.

:lol:

I went to the USF vs Ohio regional game here in Nashville. Sure they are in the Sweet 16, because they got to play USF.

I was not impressed with their style of play. But I am basing that on one game of course.

If I were you, I'd not be so eager to broadcast my ignorance. Just sayin'.

Rob, I'm referring to the average fan and the average national pundit. Most would look at John Groce and say "Who"? Would you disagree? Just sayin'

Average fan of Illini basketball? College basketball? Sports generally?

No, after the Oden-Cook-Lighty-Conley class, I think all the national pundits knew who John Groce was.

Groce would be an excellent choice.

There you go again. Folks who know him from his Taylor days say that it would be the end of Illini basketball as we know it. But, then again, that might be a good thing. In any event, it is the one hire that would cause me to give up all things Illini.

Average fan of Illini basketball? College basketball? Sports generally?

No, after the Oden-Cook-Lighty-Conley class, I think all the national pundits knew who John Groce was.

Rob, the average fan isn't you. Not many people would know that or him. Sorry, but it's just the truth.

There you go again. Folks who know him from his Taylor days say that it would be the end of Illini basketball as we know it. But, then again, that might be a good thing. In any event, it is the one hire that would cause me to give up all things Illini.

Haha. That's pretty funny. First good laugh I've had all day.