Sign in to follow this  
Corky St. Claire

sox trade for griffey

Griffey? :doh

Of all the potential moves the Sox would make, getting another outfielder sure seems like the least likely. This would have to be in advance of some other move or moves, I'd think.

Not as part of the deal with Cincy as the Reds are set at first base and need either a CF or a shortstop. The Reds lack speed and I would hope they get someone that can run a bit.

The Reds' owner made the trip to Houston with the team, probably so he can talk to Griffey in person about the trade.

Griffey is a class act. Too bad injuries have hampered his career since he came home to Cincy.

or a Konerko/Swisher platoon at 1B maybe Jr will decline the trade.

On the surface, I don't like it and knowing Kenny's propensity to overpay, I suspect I'll like it even less once we find out who the Sox gave up.

He can't play CF effectively any more and Dye and Quentin are staying put in LF and RF.

I'd rather they overpay for Huston Street.

I'd love to see it. I'd imagine Paulie wants to play on the west coast if he got traded, so maybe to Oakland for Street, but I can't see Beane being that dumb.

Also, could trading Konerko have a negative effect in the clubhouse? He is the team captain and I imagine well liked in the clubhouse.

We may have to hope for this

maybe Jr will decline the trade.

although he could be a nice left bat off the bench, but I highly doubt that's the plan. I suspect he's pencilled in CF if the deal goes through.

Paulie is not gonna be traded now or this winter.

His contract is now an albatross and there's a decent chance he can't play anymore. There's no market for him

He should've been dealt over the winter when he still had value

Griffey could very well veto the deal... based on not wanting to play CF. I don't know if he wants to avoid playing center or if that was just the Reds' (correct) call to avoid more injuries to him.

I agree, I'd love to see it but it won't happen. The question becomes is JR/KW willing to pay a bench player that much. I say no, and they coerce ozzie into keeping him a starter.