Sign in to follow this  
Peoriaman

Bill Cole battling for a starting spot

Bruce knows what he's doing Not redshirting anyone, going 10-11 deep, and running on both ends of the floor is the best way to maximize this teams strengths (depth and athleticism), and hiding their weaknesses (shooting)

"Weber said that he feels good about the top four starters" Wait a sec...wasn't there a huge thread here about Bruce not being sure of his starters and what a tragic and scary situation this was? :wall

meh, thats just honesty all coaches have to feel their way through the first few games. Its just a little nerveracking that our most important game of the non conference (IMO) is in 10 days.

Why do you believe this? If you think our talent is at an all time low comapred to the last decade we should be pushing these guys to use up their 4 years as quickly as possible so that better players in future classes can utlize those scholarships.

Also, I am not so sure red shirting does anything but delay the inevitable freshman year learning curve anyway. Let them come in and play and learn on the job.

I worry more that Meacham has apparently secured a spot, when he looks like the same player as last year.

That Alexander hasn't decisively claimed the other position is also a concern, though.

Its funny how some people who don't redshirt and end up not playing because they can't cut it figure it out much quicker and move on. That will help class balance as well.

I think that our talent is at an all-time low in the backcourt The frontcourt is stacked, albeit in need of development. And I have always questioned just how many skinny PFs we really need in place of wing players.

That said, 12-man rotations just don't work, and between Carlwell, Semrau, Cole, Tisdale, and Davis, at the very least one, if not two of those players aren't going to play that much. Semrau obviously won't redshirt, and while I think Carlwell should, it's not going to happen. I'm sorry, but other than Tisdale being a little taller and Cole being more comfortable in the offense, they're exactly the same. Do we really need both of them this year?

Plus, there is the issue of class balance both by position and age. You just can't have 4 frontcourt players in the same class. It's crazy. 4 years down the road when we suddenly have to recruit 4 forwards and centers (barring transfer, injuries and early entry, which are certainly possible), well, then we'll regret it.

I don't think you should go crazy redshirting, but the reality is there is no point in one or two of these guys averaging 1.2 minutes a game.

I don't mind it one bit In fact what it probably shows is that Tisdale, Cole, and Davis are now already better than Carlwell and Semrau.

If you are playing either of the two worst post players because you are redshirting one of Tisdale, Cole, or Davis just for the sake of redshirting them, that is not a good idea, imo.

Your best players play, your worst players don't, regardless of class. It appears the freshmen are already better than the sophomores and redshirt freshman, so play them.

into common sense even the merrymen have agreed that the last 3-4 recruiting classes are unacceptable. you cant have it both ways. if they are unacceptable then you dont want to make it worse by maximizing their stay here do you?

the good ones will be good enough and forced to play now, the bad ones arent worth another year of eligibility. thats how i see it with this new bunch.