• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mark Alstork Transfer

#101 User is offline   Smokey 

• Group: Members

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:36 PM

View PostBreal31, on 19 May 2017 - 04:39 PM, said:

Cleverly allowing the final bidders time to make their last offer. Sound business strategy

You think he'll get more than Ahmad Starks was paid?

#102 User is offline   Breal31 

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:34 PM

mamador, on 19 May 2017 - 08:00 PM, said:

Oh God a Grad transfer from Wright Freakin State is asking for $$? He'd be a nice piece this year but not to get dirty and risk having the NCAA up our ass for. If that's the case and LSU is that desperate to be throwing money at a mid major grad transfer they can have him

I'm perfectly fine with it. Although, I don't think this guy is as good as a lot of others do.

#103 User is offline   JudgeJudy 

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:04 AM

Breal31, on 19 May 2017 - 11:34 PM, said:

I'm perfectly fine with it. Although, I don't think this guy is as good as a lot of others do.

Agreed

#104 User is offline   Breal31 

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:05 AM

Smokey, on 19 May 2017 - 09:36 PM, said:

You think he'll get more than Ahmad Starks was paid?

Will he get more than tennis phenom Amanda? That's the real question

#105 User is offline   mamador 

• Goderator

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:23 AM

View PostBreal31, on 19 May 2017 - 11:34 PM, said:

View PostJudgeJudy, on 20 May 2017 - 12:04 AM, said:

Agreed

Sure until you get caught.

#106 User is offline   Breal31 

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:29 AM

mamador, on 20 May 2017 - 10:23 AM, said:

Doesn't seem like anyone gets caught these days. If the Tilmon/Porter recruitments slip by, a small chunk of change for this NBA wannabe sure won't draw attention

#107 User is offline   MnIllini 

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:42 AM

I assume that there are ways of doing things and still stay inside the grey area.

#108 User is online   brs7 

Posted Yesterday, 11:28 AM

Let's put possible inducements aside for a minute. On the court, what is this guy after? I haven't heard him say a thing about winning or ncaa's. It's mostly been about NBA. What does he expect to get from a program? Visibility, competition, no competition from within, playing with people who can make him better, post season, which? Coaching? Does he just want to light up the scoreboard under any lights that are brighter than Wright State?

#109 User is offline   Lkdog 

Posted Yesterday, 01:30 PM

View Postmamador, on 20 May 2017 - 10:23 AM, said:

Name five power conference programs who have been caught and punished with major scholarship sanctions and/or put on probation for improper benefits, or payouts to recruits in last ten years.

He11, name five programs of the total 351 D1 programs with serious sanctions in last ten years.

#110 User is offline   GoIllini73 

Posted Yesterday, 01:48 PM

View PostBreal31, on 20 May 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

Will he get more than tennis phenom Amanda? That's the real question

And does he have Amanda's maturity?

#111 User is offline   mamador 

• Goderator

Posted Yesterday, 01:54 PM

View PostLkdog, on 21 May 2017 - 01:30 PM, said:

Name five power conference programs who have been caught and punished with major scholarship sanctions and/or put on probation for improper benefits, or payouts to recruits in last ten years.

He11, name five programs of the total 351 D1 programs with serious sanctions in last ten years.

Michigan basketball
Miami football and basketball
Syracuse football and basketball
USC football
Ohio State football
Memphis basketball

#112 User is offline   PBLIllini 

• Loyalty Mensa

Posted Yesterday, 02:18 PM

GoIllini73, on 21 May 2017 - 01:48 PM, said:

And does he have Amanda's maturity?

Doubtful. I don't think she hunkers down in bushes and spies on people like Truth. He's the Sean Spicer of IL message boards.

#113 User is offline   Smokey 

Posted Yesterday, 03:52 PM

View Postmamador, on 21 May 2017 - 01:54 PM, said:

Michigan basketball
USC football
Ohio State football
Memphis basketball

Louisville basketball- tourney ban.
SMU basketball - tourney ban.
Mizzou basketball - scholarship losses/tourney ban/program blown up till Cuonzo was hired.

#114 User is offline   Lkdog 

Posted Yesterday, 04:28 PM

View Postmamador, on 21 May 2017 - 01:54 PM, said:

Michigan basketball
USC football
Ohio State football
Memphis basketball

Yep once in awhile somebody does get caught.

Sticking to basketball- I will certainly give you the Miami thing as textbook violations and where the guy was a criminal and brazen and the staff were totally negligent in their duties and aware of his contact and actions.
But not such a big deal in the end. The BB program lost one schollie for a couple years I think.
They have made the tourney three of last five years.

Syracuse really hasn't suffered much for the Melo and YMCA thing. Posted Image
Vacated wins which nobody cares too much about except maybe Boeheim, schollie sanctions which were later reduced, and paid a fine which was also later reduced by half. The recruiting contact limitations are easily worked around by all of these schools.

Was hurt so badly they have only made the NCAA 7 of last 9 years which included one self imposed post season ban.

You left out USC which comes to mind for the Mayo thing. Another slap on the wrist and I think a lost schollie.
They are doing pretty well these days and made tourney last two years.

Memphis vacated some wins, but lost no schollies and had no post season ban IIRC.
As with Syracuse- were hurt so badly that they only made the NCAA's four years out of last 6.

UM was a couple decades ago- and yes sordid. The penalties were surprisingly lenient IMO. Should have gotten the death penalty.
They are one of better programs in country in last decade.

I think this all kind of generally proves the point of myself and others- it is extremely rare that anyone gets caught for anything- and nothing too much happens when they do.

All of above teams have done better than us in the last decade while most were under some sort of token type punishment or probation.

When you consider that there are over 4000 D1 players on scholarship on 351 teams in basketball - the possibilities are mind boggling.

I am not endorsing cheating or the games that get played. There are so many damn allowable loopholes it is really impossible to stop the transfer of benefits or perks to the top kids and families- and there are ways that that are far enough dissociated from the programs that when improper benefits get transferred- it is very hard to prosecute as violations.

And when someone is really blatant and gets caught violating the rules- nothing really happens of real consequence.

It's all driven by the major money of course in this industry.

Will be very interesting to see if UNC gets a real consequence.

#115 User is offline   Smokey 

Posted Yesterday, 05:07 PM

View PostLkdog, on 21 May 2017 - 04:28 PM, said:

UM was a couple decades ago- and yes sordid. The penalties were surprisingly lenient IMO. Should have gotten the death penalty.
They are one of better programs in country in last decade.

They got the effect of a death penalty. Didn't make the NCAA tourney for over 10 years. This car accident basically killed their program:

https://www.washingt...5-f45e0e9b461b/

http://articles.chic...r-sabrina-lloyd

#116 User is online   brs7 

Posted Yesterday, 06:39 PM

MA audio

Found this audio interview from friday. He discusses Illinois and his apparent decision criteria 16:50 - 21:00, his LSU connection 24:45-25:30.

#117 User is offline   mamador 

• Goderator

Posted Yesterday, 07:27 PM

It's always years after the fact when programs get punished either self imposed or by the NCAA. The impact would be a future Illini team if it should happen. It's low risk I know coaches are smart about plausible deniability but a risk none the less and not one you should be taking on a 5th year senior in a rebuilding season. If Alstork is looking to get paid I'd pass because it could impact a possible good team in the future.

#118 User is offline   PBLIllini 

• Loyalty Mensa

Posted Today, 07:23 AM

Smokey, on 21 May 2017 - 05:07 PM, said:

They got the effect of a death penalty. Didn't make the NCAA tourney for over 10 years. This car accident basically killed their program:

https://www.washingt...5-f45e0e9b461b/

http://articles.chic...r-sabrina-lloyd

And yet, they recovered more quickly than what IL will due to bumbling Bruce. Says a lot about CES.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic