IlliniHQ Forums: Time to Start the FIRE TIM BECKMAN Campaign - IlliniHQ Forums

Jump to content

  • 13 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Time to Start the FIRE TIM BECKMAN Campaign

#21 User is online   IlliniVette 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-January 09

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

View PostSki Team, on 05 October 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

I'll give Beckman credit for one thing. He probably has the highest earnings-to-intelligence ratio of anybody I know.

Am I the only person who thinks Timmy might have been dropped on his head as a baby?
0

#22 User is offline   Jerry519 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-August 08

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

Cubit got FIRED at Western Michigan AND many of you want him to be the next HC? Seriously? After 5 games and a 3-2 record, this fan base is about as wishy washy as it could be. If anyone really thought we would go TO Nebraska and win that game, they need their head examined. This team IS improved but we are a long damn way from being good! The defense has been bad all year except for Cinny., good teams WILL contain our offense. We simply LACK talent.
0

#23 User is online   IlliniVette 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-January 09

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:07 PM

View PostJerry519, on 05 October 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

Cubit got FIRED at Western Michigan AND many of you want him to be the next HC? Seriously? After 5 games and a 3-2 record, this fan base is about as wishy washy as it could be. If anyone really thought we would go TO Nebraska and win that game, they need their head examined. This team IS improved but we are a long damn way from being good! The defense has been bad all year except for Cinny., good teams WILL contain our offense. We simply LACK talent.

For the record, I do NOT want Cubit to be head coach. Interim maybe, but only if we can Timmy before the end of the year. :D
0

#24 User is offline   Jerry519 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-August 08

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

Beckman won't be fired mid-year.
0

#25 User is online   IlliniVette 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-January 09

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

View PostJerry519, on 05 October 2013 - 07:45 PM, said:

Beckman won't be fired mid-year.

I know. :(
0

#26 User is offline   NewOandB 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 14-March 12

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:24 PM

View PostJerry519, on 05 October 2013 - 07:45 PM, said:

Beckman won't be fired mid-year.


Honestly, if Illinois could find a Cubit on the defensive side of the ball and kick Banks to the curb, I'd be fine with that and giving Beckman one more year. The offense with Lunt next year should be more than serviceable. I'm definitely no Beckman fan, but I don't want to see Cubit go with a fair number of the skill position players returning and Lunt coming in.

The defensive staff needs an overhaul. Tim Banks just is not cut out to be a defensive coordinator in the B1G. There were more original schemes run in the high school game I watched last night, and both teams ran a lot of no-huddle.
0

#27 User is offline   kzimmer001 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-August 08

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

View PostSki Team, on 05 October 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

I'll give Beckman credit for one thing. He probably has the highest earnings-to-intelligence ratio of anybody I know.


I agree with this statement. Football is not rocket science, but Beckmann is 'derp, derp, derp'
0

#28 User is online   IlliniVette 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-January 09

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

View Postkzimmer001, on 05 October 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

I agree with this statement. Football is not rocket science, but Beckmann is 'derp, derp, derp'

You give him too much credit, I don't think he could string three derps together. :lol:
0

#29 User is offline   RecLeagueHero 

  • It's my fault....I guess.
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 26-September 12

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

View PostNewOandB, on 05 October 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

Honestly, if Illinois could find a Cubit on the defensive side of the ball and kick Banks to the curb, I'd be fine with that and giving Beckman one more year. The offense with Lunt next year should be more than serviceable. I'm definitely no Beckman fan, but I don't want to see Cubit go with a fair number of the skill position players returning and Lunt coming in.

The defensive staff needs an overhaul. Tim Banks just is not cut out to be a defensive coordinator in the B1G. There were more original schemes run in the high school game I watched last night, and both teams ran a lot of no-huddle.


This is where I am at too. Overhaul the defense like they did the offense. It should have been done last year honestly. Banks was worse than the offensive guys or just as bad at least.
0

#30 User is offline   RecLeagueHero 

  • It's my fault....I guess.
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 26-September 12

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

View PostIlliniVette, on 05 October 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

You give him too much credit, I don't think he could string three derps together. :lol:/>


He's smarter than Weber, and look at the coin that guy makes!
0

#31 User is online   IlliniVette 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-January 09

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

View PostRecLeagueHero, on 05 October 2013 - 09:59 PM, said:

He's smarter than Weber, and look at the coin that guy makes!

:wall Why god? Why do we hire morAns?!?
0

#32 User is offline   napster 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 02-February 12

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:38 PM

View PostMistakenJ, on 05 October 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

It's only gonna get worse from here on out. Let Cubit finish out the season and see what that brings us. Time to take a page out of USC's playbook.

Stupid post and more stupid to actually believe someone would even go there. What a twerp !
0

#33 User is online   IlliniVette 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-January 09

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:57 PM

View Postnapster, on 05 October 2013 - 11:38 PM, said:

Stupid post and more stupid to actually believe someone would even go there. What a twerp !

Yeah we can't afford to Kiffin a head coach.
0

#34 User is offline   NewOandB 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 14-March 12

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:47 AM

View PostIlliniVette, on 05 October 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

:wall/> Why god? Why do we hire morAns?!?


Two big reasons.

1) Our previous AD was a s*** for brains who only hired the next coach based on what he didn't like in the previous head coach.
2) Even in the case of our current AD, "previous head coaching experience" continues to be a hard and fast requirement in the hiring process. Why wouldn't Mike Thomas look at the crop of assistants when he hired Beckman? You cannot tell me there wasn't a hotshot coordinator out there who was a better option than Beckman. The basketball job is probably OK for that requirement, because a good head coach can win a national title at Illinois. For football, it's stupid. How much head coaching experience did Barry Alvarez or Kirk Ferentz have when they were hired? I think Ferentz had two years tops.

It's been said before - our best chance to strike gold in football is to hire a good assistant looking for a shot. No good head coach with some experience will want to wade into this situation. It's too much of a coaching graveyard.
0

#35 User is offline   3n1 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-August 08

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

[quote name='NewOandB' timestamp='1381063657' post='493772']
Two big reasons.

1) Our previous AD was a s*** for brains who only hired the next coach based on what he didn't like in the previous head coach.
2) Even in the case of our current AD, "previous head coaching experience" continues to be a hard and fast requirement in the hiring process. Why wouldn't Mike Thomas look at the crop of assistants when he hired Beckman? You cannot tell me there wasn't a hotshot coordinator out there who was a better option than Beckman. The basketball job is probably OK for that requirement, because a good head coach can win a national title at Illinois. For football, it's stupid. How much head coaching experience did Barry Alvarez or Kirk Ferentz have when they were hired? I think Ferentz had two years tops.

It's been said before - our best chance to strike gold in football is to hire a good assistant looking for a shot. No good head coach with some experience will want to wade into this situation. It's too much of a coaching graveyard.
Puhleze make him an offensive guy. The improvement with Cubit makes it obvious how poorly coached the offense has been since White and Makovik. You couldn't pay me enough to think back over all of the offensive coordinators we've had. I try to forget.

I've made the 250 mile roundtrip at least 250 times and the trip home gets longer each year. I can't even drink to forget because I'm at the wheel. Thomas effed up twice-throwing $1.6 million at Beckman and allowing him to run off Vic. I'm about as loyal as they come and an optimist by nature but I can't see Beckman finding the players or staff to take us to the Weed Eater Bowl or Velveeta Fight Hunger Bowl. Add another conference game and drop another patsy off the schedule and even six wins looks unlikely.
0

#36 User is offline   kzimmer001 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-August 08

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:59 AM

I like Thomas, make no mistake and he is huge upgrade over FURG, but Beckmann was simply a bad hire.

I think we're stuck for this year. 5-7 at best, is that enough to retain Beckmann?
0

#37 User is offline   3n1 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-August 08

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

View Postkzimmer001, on 06 October 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

I like Thomas, make no mistake and he is huge upgrade over FURG, but Beckmann was simply a bad hire.

I think we're stuck for this year. 5-7 at best, is that enough to retain Beckmann?

Two more is a pipe dream. Four? I'll take some of what you've been smoking.
0

#38 User is offline   RecLeagueHero 

  • It's my fault....I guess.
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 26-September 12

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

View Postkzimmer001, on 06 October 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

I like Thomas, make no mistake and he is huge upgrade over FURG, but Beckmann was simply a bad hire.

I think we're stuck for this year. 5-7 at best, is that enough to retain Beckmann?


I think it looks like a bad hire too, not as bad as originally thought, but still bad.

That said, Thomas found out what the perception of IL football is amongst coaches when he tried to make the hire. The pool of interested people was probably pretty shallow. FURG set Thomas up for failure in this regard by "building" a program that nobody decent wants to touch with a ten foot pole. It's damn sad. And we just gave the guy a #$%&@!ing award! For realz!

I do think if Beckman is not able to turn it around and gets canned, that Thomas is going to have to change his hiring approach to omit the criteria for previous HC experience. As others have said, we need to find the next up and comer.
0

#39 User is offline   readone 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 07-December 11

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

View Post3n1, on 06 October 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

Two more is a pipe dream. Four? I'll take some of what you've been smoking.


If you get it, don't Bogart it. Pass it around! :creeper
0

#40 User is offline   kzimmer001 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-August 08

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

View Post3n1, on 06 October 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

Two more is a pipe dream. Four? I'll take some of what you've been smoking.

You underestimate how bad the Big Ten is. Still, I think the Illini can beat Purdue and maybe Penn State.

Getting your a$$ handed to you in Lincoln is not that unusual, at least in any given year.
0

Share this topic:


  • 13 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic