IlliniHQ Forums: Devin Langford transfers to DII Kentucky Wesleyan - IlliniHQ Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Devin Langford transfers to DII Kentucky Wesleyan

#1 User is offline   JayVanHouten 

• Group: Members

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

"University of Illinois forward Devin Langford will transfer to eight-time NCAA Division II Champion Kentucky Wesleyan College for his final three years of eligibility, according to new KWC head men's basketball coach Happy Osborne.

Langford, a 6-foot-7, 200-pound native of Huntsville, Ala. (Robert E. Lee High School), played in 22 games where he averaged 4.3 minutes and nearly one point and one rebound in helping the Fighting Illini to a 23-13 record and the NCAA Third Round as a redshirt-freshman. He sat out the 2011-12 season with an injury.

"Devin's addition to our program is huge," said Osborne. "He's a highly skilled and versatile athlete. He will create mismatched opportunities which will cause havoc for our foes because of his gift to play both ends of the court either from outside or inside.

"He can step out to shoot the three, put the ball on the floor and get to the basket or play in the paint. His quickness and leaping ability fuels his defensive talents by mirroring his opponent, aggressive rebounding and altering shots.

"It's just so nice to have a quality student-athlete of his talent and character come to Kentucky Wesleyan College."

Langford earned 2011 first team All-State recognition by the Alabama Sports Writers Association at Lee where he averaged 17.4 points and 7.0 assists in leading the Generals to the Alabama Class 5A State Championship game with a 27-9 record as a senior for head coach Gregory Brown.

The Generals won the 2010 State Class 5A title with a 21-10 record where Langford was a second team ASWA All-State choice.

His senior postseason honors include a second straight AHSAA All-State Tournament Team recognition, Elite First-Team selection by the Huntsville Times; No. 3-ranked Super Senior recognition by the Birmingham News; and playing in the 21st annual Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Classic.

He is the son of James and Kimberly Langford of Huntsville and has one sister and two brothers."

Langford joins November signee Logan O'Bryan, a 6-foot-4 swingman from Daviess County High School in Owensboro, for the 2013-14 recruiting class.

The Panther's return four starters and five letterwinners from their 20-8 squad along with three redshirts.

Link

#2 User is online   Never trust a custard fart 

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

Well I am glad he found a spot. Ending up in DII may be a good indicator of his actual ability. Hopefully it is a good fit for him and he does well there.

#3 User is offline   IlliniVette 

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

Coach Happy! :lol:

#4 User is offline   Big10Man 

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

Best of luck to Devin going forward. Hope it works out well for him.

#5 User is offline   RecLeagueHero 

• It's my fault....I guess.

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

Not surprising. Probably a much better level for him. I think Weber took a real flyer on this kid.

#6 User is offline   IlliniVette 

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostBig10Man, on 17 May 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

Best of luck to Devin going forward. Hope it works out well for him.

Ditto. I would have liked to see more of Devin, hopefully see him develop as a player, but I guess he didn't fit what Groce wanted to do. I wish him luck too.

#7 User is offline   illinicalvin 

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

View PostRecLeagueHero, on 17 May 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

Not surprising. Probably a much better level for him. I think Weber took a real flyer on this kid.

...and many of the same people who highly and mightily express skepticism about Groce's recruiting were in love the kid and thought we found "another" steal Weber could coach up.

I imagine immediate eligibility was the driving force here. Guy is a mid-major talent - no shame in that - he should thrive in D2.

And Happy Osborne?

#8 User is offline   superscal23 

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:11 PM

I thought his length made him an intriguing prospect as a wing defender, but he really never gave us any reason to believe he could contribute offensively. Best of luck to him. That's a solid DII program, and I believe he won't have to sit out a year going down a level.

#9 User is offline   IlliniVette 

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

View Postillinicalvin, on 17 May 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

Weber could coach up.

:lol: I got a good laugh

#10 User is online   Never trust a custard fart 

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:36 PM

View Postillinicalvin, on 17 May 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

And Happy Osborne?

Osborne....Cox???

#11 User is offline   bluedart 

• I'm a man of my wurd

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

wish him well

#12 User is offline   NewOandB 

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

Hope he does well. That's a great program. I'm guessing Happy is happy to get Langford (cue the bad pun music, I know).

#13 User is offline   Breal31 

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

and here's hoping we stop giving scholarships to players from now on who can't even play D1 basketball...

#14 User is offline   spazz 

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

View PostBreal31, on 18 May 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

and here's hoping we stop giving scholarships to players from now on who can't even play D1 basketball...

Langford is only going D2 because he already used a redshirt year and didnt want to sit out another season and lose a year of eligibility. He probably should have just stuck it out at Illinois.

#15 User is offline   larue33 

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

View Postspazz, on 18 May 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

Langford is only going D2 because he already used a redshirt year and didnt want to sit out another season and lose a year of eligibility. He probably should have just stuck it out at Illinois.

I agree that he could play Div. I, but he was clearly a reach at this level. Good athlete, good size, but limited skills and no real position.

#16 User is offline   RecLeagueHero 

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

View Postspazz, on 18 May 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

I don't think that was an option for him.

#17 User is offline   IlliniVette 

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

View PostRecLeagueHero, on 18 May 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

I don't think that was an option for him.

He could have stayed, warmed a seat on the bench, and gotten his degree. He apparently wants to play, I wish him luck.

#18 User is offline   RecLeagueHero 

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

View PostIlliniVette, on 18 May 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

He could have stayed, warmed a seat on the bench, and gotten his degree. He apparently wants to play, I wish him luck.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that Groce gave all those guys a little "nudge" toward the door. I don't think there is anything wrong with that given he didn't recruit any of them and they weren't going to play. I just don't think he was going to let them hold scholarships hostage.

#19 User is offline   SoCal Illini Fan 

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

View PostRecLeagueHero, on 18 May 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

I'd bet dollars to donuts that Groce gave all those guys a little "nudge" toward the door. I don't think there is anything wrong with that given he didn't recruit any of them and they weren't going to play. I just don't think he was going to let them hold scholarships hostage.

While I don't like not honoring scholarships, I can't blame him. After all, it's his job on the line if he doesn't win. Two years down the road, no one will care that he was left with a horrible roster. He had to do something to fix it. I know you aren't saying he should have, just wanted to throw my $.02 in there.

#20 User is offline   larue33 

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:10 PM

I think Langford and Shaw both wanted to play, and were told that was not at all likely to happen here. You can call that a nudge if you want to, it's also being honest with the player about his situation. The same may be true of Djimde, but he clearly didn't belong at this level as a basketball player, and he probably wasn't going to have the option of staying, which may have been what he wanted. It's unfortunate if he wanted to stay, but he got two free years of education (and will almost certainly get two more somewhere), some great trips, the experience of being part of a top level program. That's not a bad deal.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic