IlliniHQ Forums: When did you get your first inkling that Weber was the wrong guy? - IlliniHQ Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

When did you get your first inkling that Weber was the wrong guy?

#121 User is offline   STB 

• Group: Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

View PostTempo34, on 07 April 2013 - 11:43 PM, said:

We were pretty well midstream by the time I realized we were in deep trouble. Guys like Jeff Frank will LOL me for this, but it's when we lost Sherron Collins. That's when an enormous red flag went up on Weber for me.

Weird, my red flag popped up when Bruce failed to get Shaun Livingston to verbal. My first and last post on the scout board got removed about my feelings on Bruce. Even though Shaun never played a game in the NCAA that is when my fears of his hire became a reality. He was and still is clueless in understanding recruiting. My only question that maybe could be answered here is, how the heck and why did Big Daddy Glenn Robinson choose Purdue?

#122 User is offline   STB 

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

View PostTheRealJeffFrank, on 08 April 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

I endorse this thread as the board Bruce Weber funeral.

He lost me when he played the short bench at home against Northwestern last year. He was coaching not to lose and it made the pre-season promises of playing a deep rotation again fall by the wayside.

Exactly my problem with him and also his constant talk of redshirting a recruit. Then when a recruit didn't redshirt, he'd "throw him under the bus" to the media.

#123 User is online   Never trust a custard fart 

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:21 PM

View PostIlliniLegends, on 08 April 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

Did anybody think it during the Arizona Elite 8 game blowout? That miracle gave Bruce an extra 5 years in my opinion. The game was truly a Catch 22

Yep proof that he's the luckiest man alive.

PS:

It kind of irritates me when everyone refers to Bruce as a hayseed or hillbilly. The dude grew up in a major metropolitan area and spent his coaching tenure working with umpteen hundreds of players from all kinds of backgrounds.

John Groce is from a tiny, all-white town in central Indiana and has proven to be able to relate very well with inner city kids of a different race.

I live in a rural area and the point I am trying to make is 1) Where someone grows up has little to do with their overall ability to relate with other people and 2) Referring to BW as a hayseed is actually making an apology for him...he's an urban guy and STILL comes out like a guy who just fell off the turnip truck.

#124 User is offline   Illinigrad 

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:03 AM

The first time I saw an interview with him when he was still at SIU ascertaining his interest in the IL position. Nothing much better happened except for the couple of years he coached Self's players.

#125 User is offline   Illini82 

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

The minute I heard his name announced as head coach. Seriously. Though I thought at the time he was a good x's and o's coach he didn't have the star quality needed to recruit at a high level. He was the Goober Pyle of college basketball. Like Beckman is (actually worse) for college football.

I thought he proved me wrong with the FF run in 05 and then the committment of IDKWTI.

Once IDKWTI decommitted the whole thing un-ravled. Really it did. If i could find some of those posts I made at that time on the old board I said as much at the time. Losing Gordon and not so much the player which was bad enough, but the perception and media attention of such a public snub would kill Weber and the program eventually.

I still think Gordon was Weber's Waterloo. Weber survived as long as he did only because of Lord Guenther and he was hired only because of Lord Guenther wanting an ass-kissing stooge that pledged he'd never leave Illinois.

#126 User is offline   RecLeagueHero 

• It's my fault....I guess.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

View PostNever trust a custard fart, on 09 April 2013 - 10:21 PM, said:

PS:

It kind of irritates me when everyone refers to Bruce as a hayseed or hillbilly. The dude grew up in a major metropolitan area and spent his coaching tenure working with umpteen hundreds of players from all kinds of backgrounds.

John Groce is from a tiny, all-white town in central Indiana and has proven to be able to relate very well with inner city kids of a different race.

I live in a rural area and the point I am trying to make is 1) Where someone grows up has little to do with their overall ability to relate with other people and 2) Referring to BW as a hayseed is actually making an apology for him...he's an urban guy and STILL comes out like a guy who just fell off the turnip truck.

I don't think he is a hillbilly, although I have called him a rube in the past.

Honestly, after remembering his quote about Dee going to the locker room....I don't wonder if he has some degree of aspergers. I don't say that lightly, my nephew has it and he said similar things. I think there is truly something off about Weber.

#127 User is offline   jasn88cubs 

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

whats the story of weber crying after illinois made the 2011 tourney?

#128 User is offline   CUtoCU 

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

View PostNever trust a custard fart, on 09 April 2013 - 10:21 PM, said:

PS:

Fair. Bruce is from Wisconsin too. Those people are more than a little off.

#129 User is offline   CUtoCU 

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

View PostIlliniLegends, on 08 April 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

Did anybody think it during the Arizona Elite 8 game blowout? That miracle gave Bruce an extra 5 years in my opinion. The game was truly a Catch 22

I think you are right. But I probably still would have taken years of mediocrity in order to put up that Final Four banner.

#130 User is offline   ChainsawFan 

• Orace of HQ, the Third of His Name

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

View Postjasn88cubs, on 10 April 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

whats the story of weber crying after illinois made the 2011 tourney?

I don't know, but I remember him saying he was so nervous that he couldn't watch the selection show with his team. That proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was just a straight up loser. I was still on the fence (dangling from it, really), even after the UIC game, but fell off for good after hearing about that.

#131 User is offline   IlliniLegends 

• I'm Legendary

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

View PostRecLeagueHero, on 10 April 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

I don't think he is a hillbilly, although I have called him a rube in the past.

Honestly, after remembering his quote about Dee going to the locker room....I don't wonder if he has some degree of aspergers. I don't say that lightly, my nephew has it and he said similar things. I think there is truly something off about Weber.

Interesting

#132 User is offline   surlyduff 

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

I think most of what needed to be said has been said.

I was always unsure of him and his ability to speak to the media like pretty much everyone. But I actually chalked that up to him being an old school coach. Old coaches always said what they meant, they didn't engage in coach speak (who started that, K?). Just look at the big ten most of us grew up with: Keady, Knight, Henson, Heathcoate...these guys told it like it was. Obviously Izzo (who still does this stuff) and Weber grew up with that and I just figured he was being old school so I gave him a pass on the funeral, calling out players, etc.

After that it always seemed like there was a game each year that really made me question what he was doing, and usually each year there would be a game that brought me back. I was at my end and then Howard came on board and it appeared that momentum switched and I just figured if we let Howard do the recruiting and Weber the coaching we may be fine. But every year there still was a head scratcher game.

The UIC game I had just landed back in the country and we were tired. I checked the scoreboard and couldn't believe they lost and just stared at the wall for about an hour realizing that it just never was going to end, it was never going to improve and only get worse.

#133 User is offline   JimmyChitwood 

• I'll make it

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

Never liked the hire to begin with...Thought he was way to much of a dork. Noticed early on that the big "great X's and O's" crap was nonsense and that he wasnt that good of a coach. Team bought in and I had a hard time complaining considering how good we were. Noticed in 06 that the entire offense was based around Dee dribbling the ball the entire shot clock and then bailing us out with 30 fters. Then the recruiting..Then the following season...Then putting a 10 minute a game guy at the point to lead the team and watched as the other B1G teams played 5 on 4 on defense. It was sad to watch. Snacks kept Weber alive for a few extra yrs because of the recruiting hype, but the results were teh same. After 09, it was a powder keg. He should never have been hired to begin with.

#134 User is offline   jasn88cubs 

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

View Postsurlyduff, on 11 April 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

I think most of what needed to be said has been said.

I was always unsure of him and his ability to speak to the media like pretty much everyone. But I actually chalked that up to him being an old school coach. Old coaches always said what they meant, they didn't engage in coach speak (who started that, K?). Just look at the big ten most of us grew up with: Keady, Knight, Henson, Heathcoate...these guys told it like it was. Obviously Izzo (who still does this stuff) and Weber grew up with that and I just figured he was being old school so I gave him a pass on the funeral, calling out players, etc.

After that it always seemed like there was a game each year that really made me question what he was doing, and usually each year there would be a game that brought me back. I was at my end and then Howard came on board and it appeared that momentum switched and I just figured if we let Howard do the recruiting and Weber the coaching we may be fine. But every year there still was a head scratcher game.

The UIC game I had just landed back in the country and we were tired. I checked the scoreboard and couldn't believe they lost and just stared at the wall for about an hour realizing that it just never was going to end, it was never going to improve and only get worse.

Posted Image

#135 User is offline   toutlemonde 

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

I posted this earlier in the thread but thought I'd try again to see if anyone else remembers this and had the same thought on our duke game in 2004.

...the next occured same season in the tournament loss to duke. we played an ok game but were down by about 10 with a couple minutes left. We were at a point when it was obvious we couldn't let duke dribbled out shot clocks but we didn't press, and didn't even foul. It looked like weber was worried about the final score looking like a blow out. Didn't press because, I thought anyway, he was too worried about giving up an easy basket and didn't want to let duke pull away on free throws. It was a long shot but not out of reach and it seemed he was less concerned with some attempt to pull out the long shot than staying close to duke in the final score...trying to keep it respectabe looking.

I am curious if anyone else remembers that and got that same feeling.

#136 User is offline   rob mccolley 

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that.

View PostIllinigrad, on 10 April 2013 - 03:03 AM, said:

The first time I saw an interview with him when he was still at SIU ascertaining his interest in the IL position.

Didn't it seem like he had to pee? Squirming like a ten year old?

#137 User is online   Never trust a custard fart 

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

Every time I think I am about ready to let go of the era of terror Bubbles wrought upon our fair program, I sit back and think of how much joy he robbed me of in the bleak, long winters of northern Illinois over the course of nearly a decade. Instant incense.

#138 User is offline   IlliniIECD 

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

View Postrob mccolley, on 11 April 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that.

Didn't it seem like he had to pee? Squirming like a ten year old?

I remember this. It was right after Self left and Weber was a potential candidate, but had not actually interviewed. One of the local news shows sent a reporter down to Carbondale to interview him. I wish that footage of this was still available. It was in a word awkward. I remember thinking - this is our guy?

#139 User is offline   junkieball 

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:38 PM

Tennessee State. We lost to them. In Champaign. I was done.

#140 User is offline   Chiefjulio 

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

When he wore the orange blazer for the national championship game.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic