IlliniHQ Forums: 2012 STL Cardinals - IlliniHQ Forums

Jump to content

  • 42 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2012 STL Cardinals Let's Discuss

#1 User is offline   illinimk 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 10-February 11

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

Time to start that new thread
0

#2 User is offline   Illini8507 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 09-November 10

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:35 PM

1. Will be interesting to see if Pujols stays and at what cost, also how Wainwright looks this Spring.
2. Who's going to manage?
3. I assume we will see Shelby Miller at some point next season, but when? Will he be force his way into the rotation on opening day, be the first guy called up when a starter gets hurt, or just be a Sept. call up?
4. Will Matt Holliday avoid freak injuries next season? you'd have to assume so
5. Can Freese stay on the field for an entire season? that ones more of a question than Holliday
6. Whos playing shortstop?
7. If Pujols stays, where are we finding consistent playing time for Allen Craig? Do they work with him at 2nd in the off season so he can play more there?

Those are all the questions i have
0

#3 User is offline   Illini8507 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 09-November 10

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:55 PM

this morning while i was getting ready for work i had hot stove on MLB network playing in the background. they were talking about where Mark Buehrle might end up, and the guy listed St. Louis as a possibility. I highly doubt it, but thought it was interesting.
0

#4 User is offline   GhostofRoyko 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 02-September 08

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:13 PM

Lots of talk on the South Side for years about Buehrle finishing his career in St. Louis. He's a native of StL and a lifelong Cards fans I think. It appears the Sox are going to go young, which might mean they won't make him an attractive offer.

I bet he'd take a hometown discount as well.
0

#5 User is offline   MJS_312 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-August 08

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

View PostIllini8507, on 09 November 2011 - 12:55 PM, said:

this morning while i was getting ready for work i had hot stove on MLB network playing in the background. they were talking about where Mark Buehrle might end up, and the guy listed St. Louis as a possibility. I highly doubt it, but thought it was interesting.


Buehrle would own the NL Central, and I'm pretty sure he'd love to pitch for STL. I figured they'd let Carp walk and take a run at him, but with 5 starters in place, it's hard to see how it would work (as of today anyway).

My guess he stays on the SS or jumps to Florida with Ozzie. That said, were I Theo, I'd look hard at Buehrle. He's a rock in any rotation.
0

#6 User is offline   Illini8507 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 09-November 10

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:35 PM

agree with both of you. every time his contract is up theres StL rumors all over the place. Too bad our 4 and 5 are both signed for next year, i wouldnt mind dealing them both and signing Jackson and Buehrle... wishful thinking
0

#7 User is offline   MJS_312 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-August 08

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:46 PM

View PostIllini8507, on 09 November 2011 - 05:35 PM, said:

agree with both of you. every time his contract is up theres StL rumors all over the place. Too bad our 4 and 5 are both signed for next year, i wouldnt mind dealing them both and signing Jackson and Buehrle... wishful thinking


Over an entire season, I think your opinion of EJ would change.

But Buehrle... Dude is a rockstar #2 and a serviceable ace.. in the American League.

Buehrle to the Cards would be a disaster for the Cubs for the next 5 years. EJ/Westbrook... Whatever... Back of the rotation starters. Trade bait journeymen both, but at least EJ comes cheap...

Its for that reason I get the feeling Edwin Jackson is destined to be a Cub, (his 9th team in 8 years) and I hate it.

:)

EJ, Lohse, Westbrook.... Those guys couldn't carry Buehrle's jock.
0

#8 User is offline   illinimk 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 10-February 11

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:54 PM

View PostMJS_312, on 09 November 2011 - 05:46 PM, said:

Over an entire season, I think your opinion of EJ would change.

But Buehrle... Dude is a rockstar #2 and a serviceable ace.. in the American League.

Buehrle to the Cards would be a disaster for the Cubs for the next 5 years. EJ/Westbrook... Whatever... Back of the rotation starters. Trade bait journeymen both, but at least EJ comes cheap...

Its for that reason I get the feeling Edwin Jackson is destined to be a Cub, (his 9th team in 8 years) and I hate it.

:)

EJ, Lohse, Westbrook.... Those guys couldn't carry Buehrle's jock.


I think the Cards will deal Lohse and Westbrook. If they don't get Buehrle, the Birds may move Rzep to the starting rotation. I'm sure MB would love to play in STL---who wouldn't???
0

#9 User is offline   GhostofRoyko 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 02-September 08

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:05 PM

Buerhle is a loyal dude who loves playing for the Sox and respects the Sox organization for giving him his shot.

But, if they go the young route, I think he'd love to finish it off in StL.

But I doubt the Cards will have money for him if they sign Pujols.
0

#10 User is offline   illinimk 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 10-February 11

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:46 AM

View PostGhostofRoyko, on 09 November 2011 - 10:05 PM, said:

Buerhle is a loyal dude who loves playing for the Sox and respects the Sox organization for giving him his shot.

But, if they go the young route, I think he'd love to finish it off in StL.

But I doubt the Cards will have money for him if they sign Pujols.


What was his salary this past season?
0

#11 User is offline   MJS_312 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-August 08

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:13 AM

View Postillinimk, on 09 November 2011 - 09:54 PM, said:

I think the Cards will deal Lohse and Westbrook. If they don't get Buehrle, the Birds may move Rzep to the starting rotation. I'm sure MB would love to play in STL---who wouldn't???


Deal those two? Think there are going to be teams lining up to eat those bad contracts?

Good luck with that.
0

#12 User is offline   MJS_312 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-August 08

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:14 AM

View Postillinimk, on 10 November 2011 - 08:46 AM, said:

What was his salary this past season?


14M in 2011.
0

#13 User is offline   GhostofRoyko 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 02-September 08

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

View PostMJS_312, on 10 November 2011 - 09:14 AM, said:

14M in 2011.


Worth every penny to my mind. One of the most consistent pitchers in baseball, always takes the hill at his turn, always eats innings, always keeps the team involved by working fast and throwing strikes, and is maybe the best fielding pitcher in MLB. Plus, even as he gets older he's not going to lose much because he's absolutely the antithesis of a power pitcher.
0

#14 User is offline   MJS_312 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-August 08

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:53 AM

View PostGhostofRoyko, on 10 November 2011 - 09:28 AM, said:

Worth every penny to my mind. One of the most consistent pitchers in baseball, always takes the hill at his turn, always eats innings, always keeps the team involved by working fast and throwing strikes, and is maybe the best fielding pitcher in MLB. Plus, even as he gets older he's not going to lose much because he's absolutely the antithesis of a power pitcher.


Couldn't agree more.

A move to the NL probably wouldn't hurt either.
0

#15 User is offline   illinimk 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 10-February 11

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:11 AM

View PostMJS_312, on 10 November 2011 - 09:13 AM, said:

Deal those two? Think there are going to be teams lining up to eat those bad contracts?

Good luck with that.


Hendry have a job yet?
0

#16 User is offline   illinimk 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 10-February 11

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:16 AM

View PostGhostofRoyko, on 10 November 2011 - 09:28 AM, said:

Worth every penny to my mind. One of the most consistent pitchers in baseball, always takes the hill at his turn, always eats innings, always keeps the team involved by working fast and throwing strikes, and is maybe the best fielding pitcher in MLB. Plus, even as he gets older he's not going to lose much because he's absolutely the antithesis of a power pitcher.


Agree. Not sure what he will command. Carp is getting $10.5/M a year for 2 years. Would love to see MB in a Cardinal uni. He will have to decide, do I want to play on the South side of Chicago or in baseball crazy STL, alongside Carp and Waino.

So much hinges on AP, we'll see.
0

#17 User is offline   MiniDitka 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 19-September 08

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:04 PM

View PostMJS_312, on 10 November 2011 - 09:53 AM, said:

Couldn't agree more.

A move to the NL probably wouldn't hurt either.

Same here. I'd love to see Buehrle on the Cubs. His changeup and cutter would be double play machines on Wrigley's grass. And if I remember right, he has hit fairly well when he has gotten the chance too. I would like to think they could get him at a little bit of a discount because it wouldn't force him to move.
0

#18 User is offline   MJS_312 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-August 08

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:24 PM

View Postillinimk, on 10 November 2011 - 10:11 AM, said:

Hendry have a job yet?


Don't think so, but that'd be your guy!
0

#19 User is offline   MJS_312 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-August 08

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:01 PM

View PostMiniDitka, on 10 November 2011 - 12:04 PM, said:

Same here. I'd love to see Buehrle on the Cubs. His changeup and cutter would be double play machines on Wrigley's grass. And if I remember right, he has hit fairly well when he has gotten the chance too. I would like to think they could get him at a little bit of a discount because it wouldn't force him to move.


Absolutely. Good points.

Not sure if we'd get him for a discount, but as long as its market value, I like it. If he wants 4 years, I don't think it's a huge risk for a durable, quality lefty with a bulldog attitude.

Can you imagine an offseason where the Cubs land Theo from Boston, Albert from STL, and MB from the south side? Damn...
0

#20 User is offline   illinimk 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 10-February 11

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:44 PM

View PostMJS_312, on 10 November 2011 - 06:01 PM, said:

Absolutely. Good points.

Not sure if we'd get him for a discount, but as long as its market value, I like it. If he wants 4 years, I don't think it's a huge risk for a durable, quality lefty with a bulldog attitude.

Can you imagine an offseason where the Cubs land Theo from Boston, Albert from STL, and MB from the south side? Damn...


Maybe move up to 3rd in the division!!!


JK
0

Share this topic:


  • 42 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic